- Cutting Board
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1/2 cup leeks finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 2 cup brown lentils
- 2 thick slices bacon cut up
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt ghee to a heavy saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add vegetables and sauté for 10 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add lentils and saute for another minute.
- Add enough water so it's about 1 inch above the lentils.
- Add bacon, bay leaves, and garlic cloves to lentils.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are soft about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Once soft strain lentils. (Keeping liquid) pick out bay leaves and garlic cloves.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat, then add flour and cook until lightly browned. Stir in the red wine and a bit of cooking liquid and cook for about two minutes.
- Add lentils back into the pot and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Season with salt pepper. Serve and enjoy!
Sodium: 604mg | Calcium: 234mg | Vitamin C: 24mg | Vitamin A: 12476IU | Sugar: 11g | Fiber: 80g | Potassium: 3014mg | Cholesterol: 128mg | Calories: 1574kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Fat: 58g | Protein: 74g | Carbohydrates: 180g | Iron: 21mg