- Cutting Board
- 2 1/2 cups northern beans dry
- 8 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ham hock
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard powdered
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups ham chopped
- ½ teaspoon white pepper ground
- Rinse beans sorting out any broken or discolored ones. In a large pot bring the water to a boil. Add the salt and the beans and remove from heat. Let beans sit in the hot water for at least 60 minutes.
- After the 60 minutes of soaking, return the pot to high heat and add ham bone, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, mustard, and bay leaves. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 60 more minutes.
- Remove ham bone and add in the chopped ham and simmer for 30 more minutes. Season with ground white pepper to taste.
Sodium: 5111mg | Calcium: 514mg | Vitamin C: 27mg | Vitamin A: 21405IU | Sugar: 13g | Fiber: 39g | Potassium: 3870mg | Cholesterol: 359mg | Calories: 1908kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 40g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 32g | Fat: 89g | Protein: 149g | Carbohydrates: 125g | Iron: 16mg