- Cutting Board
- 1 block tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes (can use TVP instead)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened yogurt vegan or dairy
- 2 tsp gram masala ground
- 1 tsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp turmeric ground
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup cashews raw
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 jalapeño de-seeded and minced
- 2 tsp ginger grated
- 1 1/2 Tbsp gram masala
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coriander ground
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cumin ground
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper ground
- 1 can tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 Tbsp cane sugar
- 1 can coconut milk full fat
- fresh cilantro garnish
- lemon wedges garnish
- plant-based yogurt garnish
- Combine the tofu, yogurt, gram masala, cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Let sit to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Soak the raw cashews in boiling water to soften. Set aside while chopping the veggies.
- Transfer the marinated tofu onto a parchment lined baking tray. Bake the tofu for about 15 – 20 minutes, turning every 5 – 10 minutes to get even browning. Keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, sauté the oil, garlic, onion, jalapeño, and ginger until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add splashes of water as needed to deglaze the pan.
- Add the gram masala, coriander, cumin, salt, and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, drained cashews, cane sugar, and coconut milk. Blend everything with an immersion blender or transfer to a standing blender to blend until smooth. Cover with lid and simmer on low.
- Once the tofu is golden, remove from the oven and add it to the pot. Give it a gentle stir, and serve with rice, naan, a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, some plant-based yogurt, and some lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Sodium: 1182mg | Calcium: 252mg | Vitamin C: 23mg | Vitamin A: 509IU | Sugar: 9g | Fiber: 4g | Potassium: 800mg | Cholesterol: 1mg | Calories: 433kcal | Trans Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Fat: 33g | Protein: 18g | Carbohydrates: 24g | Iron: 9mg