- Cutting Board
- 8 Oz rice Vermicelli noddles
- 1 box hard tofu cubed
- 1 large onion quartered
- 2 2-inch pieces fresh ginger unpeeled and halved, length wise
- 6 cups broth or bone broth your choice chicken, beef, vegetable…
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 tsp coriander ground
- 1 whole clove
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp red chili paste Sambal
- 1 stick cinnamon
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Optional Garnish Ingredients
- 4 green onions chopped
- 2 jalapeños or Thai chilis thinly sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch Thai basil leaves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- In a large dry pot over medium heat add the onion halves and ginger pieces. Cook for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally. You want a nice color.
- Add the broth, water, coriander, clove, fish sauce, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chili garlic paste, cinnamon stick, and your salt and pepper to the pot. Bring to a slow boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- During this time prepare noodles according to the package instructions. Once soft, drain, rinse, and sit aside.
- Prep your garnishes into individual small bowls for serving.
- When there is about 5 minutes left in hour 30 minutes simmer add your tofu to the broth to cook.
- Take out and discard the ginger, clove, cinnamon stick, and onion pieces from the pot.
- Divide the noodles among bowls and ladle the hot broth over the noodles. Add your desired toppings.