- sauce pan
- mesh strainer
- 2 cups water
- 3 tsp black loose leaf tea or tea bags
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2-3 cardamom pods smashed
- 1-2 cloves smashed
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger chopped
- 1 small cinnamon stick smashed
- 1/4 tsp cracked peppercorn
- In a saucepan, add 2 cups of water along with cardamom pods, cloves, sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, and peppercorns. Bring it to a boil on high heat.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add the loose-leaf tea to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the tea turns dark in color.
- Add the milk to the pan and stir well. Then add the sugar and stir again until the sugar dissolves.
- Take the pan off the heat and strain the chai through a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth.
- If you want to add aeration to your chai for more creaminess and smoothness, pour the tea from one pot to another a few times. Start at a low height and slowly raise the height as you pour from one pot to another. Do this back and forth a few times.
- Once you've added aeration, strain the chai again and serve hot.
- Enjoy your homemade chai tea!