- Large pot
- Cutting Board
- 1/2 lb meats Three Kinds of meat of your preference such as ham, kielbasa, sausage, roasted pork, etc.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 4 cans consomme or beef stock
- 1-2 cups red wine
- 2 Jars sauerkraut
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 1/2 lbs mushrooms
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 large sour pickle chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots sliced
- Brown the meats in oil in a large soup kettle. Mix in the flour and allow it to absorb the juices. Add the consomme and wine and mix with the meat and flour.
- Lightly wash the sauerkraut in water (depends onhow sour you want the final mixture to be).
- Chop the fresh cabbage finely with a knife and add it along with the mushrooms.
- Let the stew simmer for 2 ½ hours. Serve it with potatoes of your choice laid over the top. The pickles may be sliced and added to the bigos. Always make the bigos at least a day before you want to serve it. More time is better! Keep adding more wine and consomme as needed
Sodium: 1931mg | Calcium: 103mg | Vitamin C: 44mg | Vitamin A: 2850IU | Sugar: 6g | Fiber: 4g | Potassium: 779mg | Calories: 178kcal | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fat: 5g | Protein: 9g | Carbohydrates: 15g | Iron: 2mg